In the spring semester, chapters and colonies plan what is known as “Beating Heart Disease” week in efforts to raise awareness regarding cardiac health. In addition, they fundraise money for their respective Heart Walks, which occur in the fall semester to follow. Each university’s chapter or colony have different events that they host during the week. Common events include but or not limited to the following:
- Chapters and colonies partner with local blood banks to host a blood drive on campus. Just 1 pint collected can save up to 3 lives!
Cardiac Health Education Seminars
- Partnering with university health services or other health educational resources on campus, we are able to throw classes that offer students advice on living a heart-healthy life.
Sporting Tournaments and Competitions
- Encouraging students to be fit, we host various tournaments that involve being active. Examples include the LionHeart Basketball Tournament at UT and Swimming for Heart Disease Relay at the University of Illinois.
Campus Kickoff Rallies and Tabling
- Seen a giant beach ball rolling around your campus? Chances are it’s probably your local Beta Chi Theta brothers gaining signatures to raise money for American Heart Association. This is just one of the many events that help gain attention to our cause on your campus!
Restaurant Fundraisers or Profit-Shares
- Part of cardiac health is eating right and we host profit shares at healthy restaurants across the country. We raise money and teach each other how to maintain a heart-healthy diet!
- Many chapters and colonies are able to offer FREE fitness classes to students by partnering with their university’s recreational sports division. Examples from our campuses include yoga, cardio-kickboxing, and Zumba.
- Pie-A-Brother and Dunk-A-Brother are popular events that our brothers host in efforts to raise money and have fun while doing so!